Goldenbridge Cemetery was the first Catholic Cemetery in Ireland to be laid out after the passing of the ‘Act of Easement of Burial Bills’. Before the passing of the Bill Roman Catholics living in Dublin were not permitted to have any cemeteries of their own, so they buried their dead in the grounds of old churchyards and monasteries or in Protestant Churchyards.
Daniel O’Connell wanted to change this, and in 1828 the Catholic Association purchased three acres of land for the grand sum of £600, ad the cemetery was consecrated on the 15th October 1828.
Goldenbridge Cemetery was the first of its kind in Ireland - a garden cemetery that took inspiration from the famous Pére Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. It was also a non-denominational cemetery that welcomed those of all religions and none in the wake of the Penal Laws. It was closed almost 150 years ago in 1869 years ago following a dispute with the British War Office that operated the nearby Richmond Barracks and has remained closed since then. It holds the graves of many historically significant figures including W.T. Cosgrave.