The Magazine Fort is a bastion fort and magazine located within the Phoenix Park, in Dublin, Ireland. Built in 1735, it was occupied by British Armed Forces until 1922 when it was turned over to the Irish Defence Forces after the Anglo-Irish Treaty. The Irish Army continued to operate the site as an ammunition store through the mid-20th century. It was fully demilitarised by the 1980s. The fort is now managed by the Office of Public Works.
Please do not make your way directly to the Magazine Fort as access cannot be granted except by ticket / bus from the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre.
Tour commences at the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre on a first come, first served basis with a shuttle bus to the Fort.
Visitors will have access to a number of areas within the Fort including one of the magazines and two viewing platforms. Watch the conservation work as it happens, see the archaeologist unearth the 18th century drainage networks or the raised oak floors with timber dowels in the Magazine.
Health and Safety induction will be conducted prior to the commencement of the tour, as conservation works are on-going within the Fort. Ground conditions are uneven so sturdy footwear is advised and suitable outdoor clothing should be worn.
For more information please contact the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre:
Telephone: 01 677 0095