These gardens are one of the most famous memorial gardens in Europe. They are dedicated to the memory of 49,400 Irish soldiers who died in the 1914 – 1918 war. The names of all the soldiers are contained in the beautifully illustrated Harry Clarke manuscripts in the granite bookrooms in the gardens.
These gardens are not only a place of remembrance but are also of great architectural interest and beauty. They are one of four gardens in this country designed by the famous architect Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944). The others being Heywood Gardens, Lambay Island and those in Howth Castle.
Sunken rose gardens, herbaceous borders and extensive tree planting make for an enjoyable visit to the gardens in any season.
Irish National War Memorial Gardens
South Circular Road,
Islandbridge, Dublin 8
Entrance from Con Colbert Rd. and South Circular Rd. (Phoenix Park end)
Gardens Open all Year
Mon-Fri 8.00am - dusk
Sat-Sun 10.00am - dusk
Access to Bookrooms by arrangement with local management.